Ms. Priscilla Belanger
Degrees and Certifications:
- B.Sc. Human Kinetics – University of Ottawa
- M.Sc. Community Health – Université de Montreal
- Social, environmental and physical determinants of health
- Health promotion and disease prevention
- Physical activity and recreation access for children
- Fitness, physical activity and motor development measurements
Project in Progress:
- LIFE and Health for Children with Complex Heart Problems (Toddler study)
- Healthy Lifestyles for Children with Complex Heart Problems (ReACH)
- International Study of Childhood Obesity, Lifestyle and the Environment (ISCOLE)
Priscilla completed her MSc in Community Health at Université de Montréal in fall 2012 and joined the HALO research team in September 2012. Prior to this, she obtained her BSc with honours in Human Kinetics from the University of Ottawa in 2006 and put her knowledge and skills into practice as a personal trainer and kickboxing instructor in Ottawa and Mont-Tremblant. Her research interests and career goals focus on the determinants of health, chronic disease prevention and promoting and supporting healthy environments and lifestyles.
Priscilla achieved the rank of 3rd degree black belt in the art of jiu-jitsu and a black belt in kickboxing. She taught martial arts to children and adults of all ages and ranks for many years. She stays active by practicing yoga, hiking, snowboarding, dancing and playing ball hockey with her colleagues! She also enjoys traveling and continuously discovering new places and things to do.