POSITION/ POSTE : Research Assistant
REPORTS TO / SUPERVISEURE : Dr. Mark Tremblay, Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research Group, CHEO Research Institute
SALARY / SALAIRE: Commensurate with training and experience
CONTRACT/ CONTRAT: This is a contract position from December 1, 2014 until December 1, 2015.
HOURS/ HEURES: Work hours for this position are regular 37.5 hours per week.
The Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research Group (HALO) at the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario Research Institute is the only full-time group in Canada dedicated solely to the issue of healthy active living in children and youth. HALO is committed to advancing research and understanding for the prevention and treatment of childhood disease and disability through physical activity. HALO is looking for a full-time Research Assistant for 12 months to assist with the development of systematic reviews on the physical activity, sedentary behaviour and sleep practices of children and youth as well as other duties related to the HALO vision.
The Research Assistant is responsible for the day-to day activities involved in the conduct of research including, but not limited to finding and screening research articles, data extraction, data compilation and interpretation and general research support. The Research Assistant will also assist with data collection for the Canadian Assessment of Physical Literacy projects (www.capl-ecsfp.ca/), and with other projects as required. The Research Assistant must be available to attend a meeting in Montebello December 8 – 10.
- Responsible for literature search, literature screening, and data extraction for the purpose of conducting systematic reviews.
- Responsible for the maintenance of research files according to study guidelines (Good Clinical Practice Guidelines).
- Responsible for the collection of research information.
- Responsible for data entry and data integrity.
- Master’s degree in a health-related field (Human Kinetics, Kinesiology, Nutrition) – Essential
- Experience in working in a research setting – Essential
- Ability to read and interpret quantitative statistics – Essential
- Understanding of research design, procedures, guidelines and standards governing clinical Research including PHIPA – Essential
- Ability to take guided initiative and to work in an organized fashion – Essential
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills – Essential
- Demonstrated collegiality, professionalism and team skills – Essential
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, email, spreadsheets) – Essential
- Capable of effectively handling multiple priorities simultaneously – Essential
- Ability to respond to study-related issues during office hours – Essential
- Strong work ethic and motivation – Essential
- Demonstrated initiative, flexibility and ability to work independently – Essential
- Police Record Check – Essential
- Experience in fitness and physical activity measurement in children – Essential
- Bilingual (English and French) – Preferred
POSTING DATE: 10/22/2014 to 10/31/2014
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: October 31, 2014
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter of interest, curriculum vitae and contact information for three references to:
Dr. Casey Gray, Project Manager
Healthy Active Living and Obesity Research Program (HALO)
CHEO Research Institute
Regular mail: 401 Smyth Road
Thank you for your interest in the position. Please note: only those selected for an interview will be contacted.